Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Festival Planning 20,000 people expected

Go down

Festival Planning 20,000 people expected Empty Festival Planning 20,000 people expected

Post by cmeexpressions on Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:43 pm

I have been invited to a festival as exclusive Face Painting, Airbrush Tattoos, and Glitter tattoos. Any idea how to plan for a 2 day crowd of 20,000? I am trying to figure out how many glitter tattoos etc I will need? I figure the face painting kit will last for the two days. I have a full set of DFX and other rainbow cakes etc I have made. 2 90gram white and blacks. I am mostly concered about the tatts as it is always hot as heck and many people will like the airbrush or the glitter since they don't sweat off and last several days. How many glitter tattoo stencils and how much glitter would you have on hand for an event like this? I am very flattered but scared to death at the same time! Help!

Carey Shocked Very Happy
cmeexpressions
cmeexpressions

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2010-02-16

Back to top Go down

Festival Planning 20,000 people expected Empty Re: Festival Planning 20,000 people expected

Post by Tash on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:28 pm

wow - I offer these three things at festivals.... but never just me alone, I do the face painting and my hubby/ partner does the tattoos, I will do glitter tats if my line dies but that has never happened. My line for face painting is always bigger then the tat line as he can get through them quicker.... people that just want a quick tat will not usually wait while you paint faces.
I can't even imagine how I would do both... let alone three.
I just did a 9 hour festival with him and we didn't get a break at all.... I think he went to the loo in the afternoon sometime but other then that we were flat out all day.
We have 1-3 of each tattoo design - airbrush and glitter. We have 100 glitter tat designs and about 260 airbrush tat designs. After a 9 hour gig he may have run out of one or two so he just covers those ones up with some tape so people don't pick them anymore.
It's hard to say how much you need of everything unless I understand how many designs you are offering.... if for instance you only have 20 glitter tat designs then it would be a good idea to have at least 6 of each.... maybe more... same with the airbrush stencils, the more designs you have to choose from the less copies of that stencil you need.
Make sure you have at least 2 viles of body glue and lots of glitter....
I usually break the day up into 5 min lots so I can work out how many people I plan on painting or spraying or glittering in an hour and how much I can make in total... depending on what you charge.... then you will get an idea of how many tat's you 'could' do in that given amount of time, then assume every third person wants fcae painting instead and you should have plenty!
Good luck - have you considered getting in some helpers.... me alone in a booth will make me about $350 a day... with my partner we net $700 appprox... more hands =more money.
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Festival Planning 20,000 people expected Empty Re: Festival Planning 20,000 people expected

Post by cmeexpressions on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:37 pm

My husband can handle the tattoo line. I plan on recruiting some friends to help folks narrow down their selection so they are ready when they get up to get "worked" on. But it is 2 day 20,000 people from 10am to 11pm both days. I will probably offer 20 to 30 of glitter tattoo choices and my airbrush is a reusable stencil kit. I have about 400.

Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate your input:)

Carey
cmeexpressions
cmeexpressions

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax on Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:37 pm

Try not to feel so overwhelmed. I heard somewhere only 1-2% of attendees get painted (which is still a good number).

Line managers are essential, if nothing else than to make sure you have breaks and beverages.
JBax
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:57 am

I tend to overbuy - but you can't make money on things you are sold out of - if you have the manpower to be doing a tattoo a minute, then if you can't be doing a tattoo due to lack of supplies you are losing potential money. And you have the rest of the season coming up.... glitter doesn't go bad, and stencils the biggest problem is having too many of a not so popular design and to few of a popular one.

And totally agree on how vital the line manager is - to safety, sanity and speed. Being able to call a 2 minute hold while a clogged airbrush gets modified, helping people with design/color/location choices, keeping people from using flash taking photos in your face while you are trying to focus, making sure that the person sitting in your chair next is the next person in line for what you are doing - I couldn't function without my line manager Smile ~~ and he is as valuable to the team as another person doing tattoos - it makes *that* much difference to have a good one.

I used to put out more designs (for airbrush tattoos) than I do now - I've cut it down to about a hundred that are easy enough to do fast, but also have many popular ones and a good selection out - I still carry the rest and have them available (lettering, large ones, arm bands etc), but if people don't ask, I'm not spending the day doing full backs or sleeves when I could be getting 25 small ones done - if the line is non existent, you can always show someone the "special" ones that aren't out.
Noella
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:03 am

I probably should also mention - it's not about the 20k people expected (but that is nice to know) - it's about how many you can do a minute/hour/day. If you can only do 700 tattoos in 11 hours - then that's all you could possibly be doing (no matter how many people are in your line unless you keep going around the clock).
Noella
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracalla on Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:40 am

I agree with everyone's comments above. I do lots of glitter tattoos at festivals and have just added the face painting to it, now more people want their face painting. When I did the tattooos just myself I knew i could do them in about 5 minutes per person. That includes them sitting down in the chair telling me which one they want, paying me and doing the tattoo. So if you can gauge how many that can possibly done per hour, you would have a better chance on guesstimasting how many stencils and glitter you need.

I have over 170 different stencil designs so I offer lots of variety. But that's not to stay the 20 hello Kitty designs will sell out first. That's the hardest part is figuring out what people will want, but that take some experience. As far as the glitter goes, not sure which company you use, but the glitter I have each containter does up to 80 tattoos so it goes a very long way. When I first started I always brought 2 palettes of glitter with me but never had to use it because it went so far.

Just remember what others said, you can't sell it if you don't have it, so always be over prepared. Good luck and have fun.
Tracalla
Tracalla

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2010-06-25

http://drdrumtastickentertainment.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cmeexpressions on Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:30 am

Thank you everyone for the advice! I need all the help I can get:)

Thanks again!
Carey
cmeexpressions
cmeexpressions

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcatfin on Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:47 am

It's not ging to go off! Overbuy but the way to do it is work out how many you can do an hour and for how many hours if you are lucky enough to be flat out busy. Its you/ the man-power thats the limiting factor, so it has no relevance how many people are going to be there.

IE I'm the lead artists for things like the Hong Kong Rugby 7s - world cup of rugby but in Hk ALL the 40,000 daily fans go in fancy dress. I have up to 20 painters; we could do with more if the rugby could hire us, but its us thats the limiting factor, we can only paint so fast even with stencil designs for some of them flags etc.

And even then at events lie that we are not always busy, as with every gig, there are lots of factors!

YES GET A LINE MANAGER then you concentrate on the art, its totally worth it.

Cat x
Wildcatfin
Wildcatfin

Number of posts : 502
Location : Mainly being a fairy face painter at Bewilderwood in UK
Registration date : 2008-12-16

http://www.bodypaintingbycat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum