Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

What is glue?

Go down

What is glue? Empty What is glue?

Post by bartelski5 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:53 am

Can anybody tell me exactly what type of glue is used for glitter tattoos? I'm not convinced that all these expensive ones are the only option. Cant normal school pva glue be used? What about eye lash glue? Can somebody help or advise me on this please as i'd appreciate your expertise. Thanks.

bartelski5

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-09-26

Back to top Go down

What is glue? Empty Re: What is glue?

Post by Misha on Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:19 pm

IMO it's not that expensive. The bottles may seem small but it goes a looong way. You will get the best results with the glues intended for the purpose.
Misha
Misha

Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by roscka on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:09 pm

i agree with misha on this. as far as glitter tattoo glue, that has got to be the most important part of the process. i waited 4 weeks for the type of glue i like to use that you can only buy in china. doing it cheap is just going to make the tats look bad. i spent 10$ on professional pros-aide and didn't like it when used on stencil, becuase it was simply too thin and would bleed under the stencil, But on the other hand, it was wonderfull for doing freehand tattos useing ether a thick squeese needle or small brush.
best
Rosie
roscka
roscka

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2012-08-25

http://www.digitalweblounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:38 pm

glitter tattoo glue is medical adhesive... it is tested safe for use on skin and uses skin safe ingredients. It is probably very similar to eyelash glue, but I sincerely doubt that would be any cheaper.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:10 am

bartelski5 wrote:Can anybody tell me exactly what type of glue is used for glitter tattoos? I'm not convinced that all these expensive ones are the only option. Cant normal school pva glue be used? What about eye lash glue? Can somebody help or advise me on this please as i'd appreciate your expertise. Thanks.

The expense of professional supplies is relative. There are people who have been doing this for years and as one of them I can say that I am convinced. Normal school glue is meant to be used for crafts, not for cosmetic uses (hence the name) and eye lash glue, while seemingly cheaper is not once your cost analyze what you're getting for your money. I use prosaide and I thicken it with proaside so that I get the consistency that I want for my glitter tattoos. That to me is a better alternative to taking a risk on an untried product from overseas...but that's just me and my experience base. In my day job I deal with many manufacturers from other countries and yes, I do run into suppliers who will tell you what they know you want to hear just to keep your business...we eventually find out about their duplicity but often it's only after their efforts result in hefty fines for our company by the governing authority. I go with what I know to be true and what my insurance company accepts as a reasonable truth and I look for alternatives within those constraints. But I digress...

Professional face painting is not for the faint of wallet. Our materials cost more because they are some of the best. We charge more becasue it costs us more to provide the best products (and our level best painting). There will always be a supposedly cheaper way of doing something, but there's usually a reason why it's cheaper and that reason usually has a direct impact on the quality of the end product and our responsibility to not harm our clients.
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat on Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:32 pm

Eyelash glue is either latex-based (like liquid latex) or acrylic based (like pros-aide), so while you could use it, it comes in such small tubes and is quite expensive that way.

I tend not to use latex-based products on a little kids since they don't often know if they have an allergy to it, yet.

I'm a big fan of pros-aide. I know not everyone on here likes it, but I get great results and tatts that last (my friend wore her octopus on her arm for two weeks).
TheGildedCat
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde on Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:12 pm

Same here. The longevity of your adhesive can be negatively impacted by external factors. Sometimes even the WAY in which the tattoo is applied can affect it's longevity. I finally got my daughter to scrub a glitter tatt paw print off her arm after 2 weeks of her avoiding washing it in the shower. The glitter of course was long gone because it's long sleeve weather, but the adhesive was still there.
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJJJ on Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:05 pm

I use Prosaide and get great results too. I believe that prepping the skin is an important factor too. I don't just swipe the alcohol pad quickly over the area, but instead rub it over the skin a few times to clear the skin of any oils, etc. THe alcohol is being used not as a disinfectant, but as a way to remove skin oils and other product residue on the skin prior to the glue and glitter application.

JJJJJ

Number of posts : 1053
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum