Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Ok, so i got another crazy idea LOL!!

Go down

Ok, so i got another crazy idea LOL!! Empty Ok, so i got another crazy idea LOL!!

Post by vicky@addgo.com on Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:43 am

So. Im looking at the price of glitter. who can make a profit if glitter is 30 dollars for 2 oz. Hell, i dont want to pay that much, i think i use about an ounce on each tattoo. HAHAH i LOVE BLING. And if i didnt i wouldnt be here. (you should see my iPhone. I blinged that out too) i dont understand how companies can charge so much. And i got to thinking about how many are mixing their own Henna cones. ( you gals rock). I learned about Henna yesterday! Praise the lord thank you everybody!

***Also, i dont mean to manipulate these forums, i am just learning and sometimes come across strong, like... HELP I NEED TO KNOW THIS NOW. I am sorry for my tone if it comes across like that ladies. really!*** silent

Today I will be investigating on making my OWN glitter. And guess what, i would sell it by the pound, so everyone could enjoy it, and it would be affordable!! enough so there was still mega good profits for the artist using it. Because without the ARTIST there is NO customer. No

So, today i am a woman on a mission!

Please, do not take offense that i want to keep my expenses low. Anything i can do myself i will die trying and i have. just read my other posts LOL. I do not mind paying an arm and a leg for supplies i cant make myself but i have to try it. Are you kidding me??? In this day and age, products need to be affordable so we can buy them. Otherwise, whats the point!
Question
ALSO, the the "Whats in your glitter" thread is scaring the hell out of me. As an artist we take responsibility putting ingredients on other peoples babies! I would feel better if I knew where my glitter came from. Hello. My kitchen. Razz
vicky@addgo.com
vicky@addgo.com

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Ok, so i got another crazy idea LOL!! Empty Re: Ok, so i got another crazy idea LOL!!

Post by SuzySparkles on Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:41 am

..........Metina sells glitter in her store. She runs this forum and pays so that we all have this nice forum to learn from each other, so supporting her store is a great thing.

Making your own glitter?!?! How in the world........ I think you will waste more money trying to make glitter than you would had you just bought it. Glitter really does go a long way. I have 1 ounce jars and have been using them at many events... MANY EVENTS.... and still have over half of each jar. Perhaps you are just being too careless with your glitter. Try watching this video on using glitter brushes and perhaps that might help you.

part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOk2fXVrYmU&list=UULABV4n4hCxpfQWs4DUn2lA&index=8&feature=plcp

part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoPJ9TWEPEA
SuzySparkles
SuzySparkles

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Ok, so i got another crazy idea LOL!! Empty Re: Ok, so i got another crazy idea LOL!!

Post by vicky@addgo.com on Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:18 am

hi suzy =) i am a long time member of the forum and live in an obscure area so Metinas store is definitely my resource =) but hon seriously if you thought you could save money by doing soemting yourself? wouldnt you at least investigate it?

Last edited by vicky@addgo.com on Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
vicky@addgo.com
vicky@addgo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:41 am

Nope. Not me. I'm a name brand, proven track record, ease of use type.

Glitter lasts a very long time... really. If you're using an ounce per tatt (really??) you must be covering entire limbs...??? scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:46 am

making glitter takes a lot of really specialized equipment, not to mention controls... will you have the equipment needed to measure your glitter to make sure that it is cosmetic grade fineness even if you did manage to make some through some magical process that doesn't require a billion dollar factory?
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by SuzySparkles on Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:04 am

I have found OVER THE YEARS... that the times that I took short cuts, or tried do-it-yourself things have ended up costing me more time and money in the long run.....

We will take my glitter tattoo selection board for example.

I saved a copy of each glitter tattoo that I ordered, printed it out on different papers, bought a 'board' (piece of plywood) painted it... Bought puffy glitter letters to spell out glitter tattoos....

It rained the first day I used it, all of the ink ran.

Then I printed out more sheets, bought a laminator, the protective sheets, double sided tape to put the stencils on it... etc... STILL didn't love it, but it served it's purpose. An ugly board with black and white stencil options on it.

Not to mention the TIMEEEEEEEEEEEEEE spent.

I then got the bright idea to buy a black tri fold board and put a stencil and glue on the board, then glitter thus giving this black board a bunch of glitter tattoos... YAY, looked great... A kid fell/stepped on it and bent it.

I also tried (for the heck of it) making my own face paint with cold cream...
Various different set-up options.......
I have a million boards with face painting options on themmmmmmm......

It is maddening.

Now I went to faketoos, picked out 48 different stencils that I wanted to carry, had the place make a banner of the 48 stencils... for like $15.00

Went to Vista print, had the banner printed out and got the banner stand.

$65.00 for a VERY professional looking glitter tattoo set up....... I wish I would have done that a longggg time ago.

I refuse to try and make home made stuff anymore because well, it makes you look cheap and unprofessional.

SuzySparkles
SuzySparkles

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:18 am

Pint well made, Suz--but, hey, didn't you just develop a successful line of gitter gel?
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SuzySparkles on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:36 am

Yeah, but it is really not the same thing as making your own glitter or taking short cuts to save money... I am just saying that taking shortcuts to save money isn't really worth it in the end as it usually ends up costing you more in the long run.

Now had I tried to develop my own glitter, my own gel... then through trial and error made some glitter gel in an effort to save money... It probably wouldn't have turned out to be as successful as it is.

SuzySparkles
SuzySparkles

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:18 am

I will admit to attending that school of hard knocks as well, but "nothing ventured, nothing gained".
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by martha on Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:39 pm

Reading this it dawned on me that, even if you can manage to make your own and save some money, you are opening yourself up to a host of liability issues as a manufacturer. One kid getting an eye infection and a parent blaming it on your homemade glitter and you would be toast in court. No way would any insurance cover you.
martha
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by beckibut7 on Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:23 pm

True Martha! Insurance would be the biggest issue as well as everything Suzy Sparkles cited. EEeeks!
beckibut7
beckibut7

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2012-03-11

https://www.facebook.com/FaceAndBodyPaintByBecki

Back to top Go down

Post by EileenF on Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:40 am

How do you make glitter at home? I give you props on your inventor way of thinking. I make and design my own stencils at home but I cant imagine making cosmetic grade glitter.
EileenF
EileenF

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2012-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by girlbyjuly on Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:02 am

I personally am a huge DIY advocate, but I like to be aware of my capabilities, of what is realistic for me to make versus buy. I know that because of my fashion degree I will never buy a custom made t-shirt or other apparel, and I handmade a fabric sign that looks great, but I would never try making something like glitter or paint. I stick to my strengths.
girlbyjuly
girlbyjuly

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2010-11-08

http://www.facepaintingorangecounty.com

Back to top Go down

Post by vicky@addgo.com on Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:10 am

LOL!!!!

Razz
Shannon Fennell wrote:Nope. Not me. I'm a name brand, proven track record, ease of use type.

Glitter lasts a very long time... really. If you're using an ounce per tatt (really??) you must be covering entire limbs...??? scratch
vicky@addgo.com
vicky@addgo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by vicky@addgo.com on Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:13 am

Suzy. Your amazing LOL. God bless you for tryin, and thank you for sharing with me. clown

SuzySparkles wrote:I have found OVER THE YEARS... that the times that I took short cuts, or tried do-it-yourself things have ended up costing me more time and money in the long run.....

We will take my glitter tattoo selection board for example.

I saved a copy of each glitter tattoo that I ordered, printed it out on different papers, bought a 'board' (piece of plywood) painted it... Bought puffy glitter letters to spell out glitter tattoos....

It rained the first day I used it, all of the ink ran.

Then I printed out more sheets, bought a laminator, the protective sheets, double sided tape to put the stencils on it... etc... STILL didn't love it, but it served it's purpose. An ugly board with black and white stencil options on it.

Not to mention the TIMEEEEEEEEEEEEEE spent.

I then got the bright idea to buy a black tri fold board and put a stencil and glue on the board, then glitter thus giving this black board a bunch of glitter tattoos... YAY, looked great... A kid fell/stepped on it and bent it.

I also tried (for the heck of it) making my own face paint with cold cream...
Various different set-up options.......
I have a million boards with face painting options on themmmmmmm......

It is maddening.

Now I went to faketoos, picked out 48 different stencils that I wanted to carry, had the place make a banner of the 48 stencils... for like $15.00

Went to Vista print, had the banner printed out and got the banner stand.

$65.00 for a VERY professional looking glitter tattoo set up....... I wish I would have done that a longggg time ago.

I refuse to try and make home made stuff anymore because well, it makes you look cheap and unprofessional.

vicky@addgo.com
vicky@addgo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by vicky@addgo.com on Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:19 am

ahhaha i do not make my own glitter. i have seen vids on youtube ppl do it.

i agree not a good idea thanks everybody!

EileenF wrote:How do you make glitter at home? I give you props on your inventor way of thinking. I make and design my own stencils at home but I cant imagine making cosmetic grade glitter.
vicky@addgo.com
vicky@addgo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by vicky@addgo.com on Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:20 am

but I like to be aware of my capabilities, (if you dont try how will you know?) I agree!

- Also, its good to try it, then think about time versus money.

girlbyjuly wrote:I personally am a huge DIY advocate, but I like to be aware of my capabilities, of what is realistic for me to make versus buy. I know that because of my fashion degree I will never buy a custom made t-shirt or other apparel, and I handmade a fabric sign that looks great, but I would never try making something like glitter or paint. I stick to my strengths.
vicky@addgo.com
vicky@addgo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum