Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Covered in sticky and weird jelly globs

Go down

Covered in sticky and weird jelly globs Empty Covered in sticky and weird jelly globs

Post by Geekophile on Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:17 pm

Help guys. I'm about to loose it over here. Last weekend my glitter glue got kinda hot and went over to the dark side. I have three wands and this was the last to go. (seems like I loose one every festival) Anyway, I had been waiting to refill them all at the same time, and now is the time... except it is a NIGHTMARE! How the heck am I supposed to get the glumpy glue out of that tiny hole so I can get the good stuff back in? I've tried putting alcohol in to thin it- then sort of "flicking" it out. That was really slow going and a collossal mess. I have glue everywhere! (and my poor cat. my poor, poor cat... No ) Then I tried dripping some of the 99% alcohol in- The liquid totally vanished and weirdly has turned all of the remaining milky white glue into a totally clear globby gell. SO, before I go ruining my other two wands... please instruct me on propper refill procedure.
Geekophile
Geekophile

Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://sophiessmileyfaces.com/

Back to top Go down

Covered in sticky and weird jelly globs Empty Re: Covered in sticky and weird jelly globs

Post by anniel on Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:28 pm

Try hot water and q-tips..maybe dish soap....It's still a slow process, but works...
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Covered in sticky and weird jelly globs Empty Re: Covered in sticky and weird jelly globs

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

I bought empty nail polish bottles at my local beauty supply store. Fill them with the glue and it stays sealed when the top is on inbetween tattoos. It has worked perfect for me. My little bottles are round with edged off angles to sit at a 45 degree angle on the table. Maybe give these a try.
Also, put all extra glue in a cooler with some ice in baggies. When it gets too hot it clumps together. Good luck.

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella on Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:23 pm

I don't actually refill..... I start fresh? 99% works for me for dissolving what I need to to clean it, but for containers/wands, I go with fresh....
Noella
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Geekophile on Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:16 pm

Ah ha! I have one cleaned! NOw I wonder if I should even bother to refill it or to go up to Sally's and get a nailpolish bottle ( I didn't know you could buy those empty- that's pretty cool!) Thanks for the advice everyone- I really thought I was going to go crazy- but I kept plugging away with the alcohol and it eventually all came out. I don't think I'm going to attempt any of the others though, just start with a new container. Now, to clean the cat. I don't suppose you have any suggestions for THAT?!
Geekophile
Geekophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella on Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:15 pm

Scissors? glue doesn't really come out of hair well.....
Noella
Noella

Back to top Go down

Post by Geekophile on Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:53 pm

rubbing her with some olive oil.
Geekophile
Geekophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella on Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:21 pm

oohhh! good idea! when mine insisted on playing with the glue I took scissors to everywhere but the whiskers (wasn't going to do *that* to her), but it was mostly back and tail that got got when she flicked it. I like the idea of olive oil though!
Noella
Noella

Back to top Go down

Post by Geekophile on Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:43 pm

Well I thought of it because of an ordeal with bubble gum a few years back. My youngest daughter got gum stuck in her hair and -get this!- tried to CHEW it out! And when that didn't work, tried to hide it underneath the rest of her hair. We tried everything= and as a last resort olive oil. It took 5 minutes to comb through after putting the oil in (we had struggled for hours before that). ;p;. I guess after thinking about that, a little cat glue doesn't seem so bad!
Geekophile
Geekophile

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel on Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:56 am

or peanut butter,,,
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Criss on Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:03 am

peanut butters is amazing for removing sticky things, it breaks them down
Criss
Criss

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Geekophile on Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:23 pm

It's the oil in the peanut butter that does the breaking. Of course, It would be funny to cover a cat in peanut butter...
Geekophile
Geekophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Manabanana on Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:56 pm

glitterfly wrote:I bought empty nail polish bottles at my local beauty supply store. Fill them with the glue and it stays sealed when the top is on inbetween tattoos. It has worked perfect for me. My little bottles are round with edged off angles to sit at a 45 degree angle on the table. Maybe give these a try.
Also, put all extra glue in a cooler with some ice in baggies. When it gets too hot it clumps together. Good luck.

didnt even think of that. Great idea!

ohh and I just shaved my cat the other week..... same thing. Very Happy It was perfect for summer. hahaha

He is a huge Maine Coon cat and weighs over 20lbs. His name is Fatboy (hahaha not too creative in the naming business)
Manabanana
Manabanana

Number of posts : 1208
Registration date : 2011-07-01

http://www.manaartonline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:10 pm

Just don't let her near the chocolate.... affraid

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamezgirl on Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:18 am

To clean my applicators in an emergency when I couldn't get new ones in time, I put them in the freezer over night, the next day, let them 'thaw' and then when i pulled the wand out, most of the glue, came with it in a rubbery clump. Then I used the 99% alcohol to clean the brush. Smile Hope this helps. Smile
Gamezgirl
Gamezgirl

Number of posts : 473
Registration date : 2009-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcatfin on Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:15 pm

The way i work is I have 2 'working' bottles.

1 is full of glue & the other is rubbing alcohol.
As i work/ before & after gigs, I occasionally swap over the working nib to the alocohol bottle and flush it through.

Yes, the alcohol sort of dissolves glue into clear jelly - I have put up a youtube of me clearing it out. Very rarely do you have to use fine wire or fine needles (nrmal needles are to thick). Sadly I think it only works with the bottles I like as the applicator tip is securely locked on so can stand huge pressure...

Also seems with these bottles that due to the tip sysetm the inside never dries out etc so doesn't go sticky and yuk...
Good luck with the poor cat! Still recall when ours fell in a bucket of wall paint:(

Cat x
Wildcatfin
Wildcatfin

Number of posts : 502
Location : Mainly being a fairy face painter at Bewilderwood in UK
Registration date : 2008-12-16

http://www.bodypaintingbycat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:07 pm

I work in the veterinary industry. To remove very sticky products from fur, we use a very oily spray, so your olive oil/peanut butter is on the right track. I'd probably use olive oil (or any cooking oil) instead of peanut butter because it's less messy to clean out of fur and they're all going to be fine if your cat grooms the residual oil off after (a little oily diarrhea is the worst case scenario).

Careful with the scissors, we often have owners coming in for laceration repairs because they tried to clip fur on a wiggly critter.
TheGildedCat
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down