Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

New to glitter tats...need some advice!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

New to glitter tats...need some advice! - Page 2 Empty Re: New to glitter tats...need some advice!

Post by SuzySparkles on Wed May 04, 2011 8:44 pm

www.signatureglitter.com is a good option as well
SuzySparkles
SuzySparkles

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

New to glitter tats...need some advice! - Page 2 Empty Re: New to glitter tats...need some advice!

Post by maggie on Wed May 04, 2011 9:28 pm

Hahaha Lynnie, I haven't made it past the "add item to cart" can't seem to figure out how to choose the glitter and stencils. I saw they have the mica powders on sale, have you used mica before, would love to see a picture.

Darth Vader? so cool! I mush get those Smile

Thanks for the link Suzy Smile
maggie
maggie

Number of posts : 2677
Registration date : 2010-11-27

http://www.maggieplummerfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eva on Wed May 04, 2011 9:53 pm

Ok so once again I am gonna sound pretty stupid. and maybe gross.

I bought a nice size glitter kit, that says it's cosmetic (NOt experienced enough to tell by looking or feeling) and they are in those little screw top clear round containers. I was trying to think of the best way to apply the glitter. Have you ever seen those tiny tiny little spoony things a doctor uses to clean a kids ear out?? Do you think that could be used to lay glitter without using too much glitter, or would that take too long? Because mine is in containers, I can't think of a way, unless just using a brush
eva
eva

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2008-12-13

http://www.cincinnatifacepainters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie on Wed May 04, 2011 10:35 pm

I just use a brush. It's easy, gets in the corners, comes with most kits and saves on excess.

Another option are sponge tipped make-up applicators but they don't apply a thick layer.

I would guess those little spoon things would actually create more waste than they save.

Suzy, I just did a quick comparison of the kit and stencils between the Twinkle site and the Signature site, the Twinkle is definitely the better value starter kit. It simply comes with more and *some* of the stencils (when purchasing in 10 packs) are about .05 cheaper as well, for the exact same stencil.

Eva, there's the areas you click on over to the left where it says "Click here to choose stencils" but I got an error code when I did it. Then the website said the owners are out of town on vacation until Sunday.

I have neon mica powders that I really like. It's a different look but subtle. Boys sometimes prefer the lack of shine, as do some parents! lol I will give myself a with both kinds to show you. Then I can take photos of the Chinese kit and put them all up at once. Smile

Last edited by Lynnie on Thu May 05, 2011 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lynnie
Lynnie

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2010-02-09

http://www.artful-body.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maggie on Thu May 05, 2011 8:56 am

Lynnie wrote:Suzy, I just did a quick comparison of the kit and stencils between the Twinkle site and the Signature site is definitely the better value starter kit. It simply comes with more and *some* of the stencils (when purchasing in 10 packs) are about .05 cheaper as well, for the exact same stencil.

So which one has the better value, I am confused LOL

Never mind, just took a look and twinkle has it LOL

I also agree with you on the many colors of glitter, some time many is too many.
maggie
maggie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie on Thu May 05, 2011 12:14 pm

Sorry, I was sleepy when I typed that. Yes. Twinkle is the better deal. Sorry!

I think sometimes the choice between face paint and glitter tat is painful enough on the poor kids. Then add all the colors and designs in and I just feel so bad for them! lol
Lynnie
Lynnie

Back to top Go down

Post by maggie on Thu May 05, 2011 7:04 pm

hahaha, no worries, I have done that before, it is like the drunk text, say what???? hahahahaha

I know, they have a hard time picking, even I have a hard time.
maggie
maggie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie on Mon May 09, 2011 3:11 pm

Okay, here are the photos of that kit I promised. The kit comes from a Japanese manufacturer called "Moon Light" but it is shipped from China. I ordered mine on Thurs last week and when I came home today (Monday), my new shipment was on my door. AMAZINGLY fast! I ordered a dress from Massachusetts (where I can drive in 6 hours) and it's taking 11 days from there but only 4 days from China!

Anyway...I opened my kit to find my gold had exploded so forgive that in the photos. lol

I took a photo of my sunglasses on the case so you can get an idea of the size of it.
New to glitter tats...need some advice! - Page 2 Glitte11

The inside of the case, and one of the vials. These are hard plastic with a bendy top so they aren't really good for "poofing". I did take out the cleanser that it comes with and replace that with my neon poofers. As you might be able to tell the plastic poofers are bigger than the one it comes with. You can also see it has great brush and glue storage as well. I've had this for over a year now and it's great for transport BUT you have to lay stuff over the top of bottles to keep them from shifting around.
New to glitter tats...need some advice! - Page 2 Glitte12
New to glitter tats...need some advice! - Page 2 Glitte13
New to glitter tats...need some advice! - Page 2 Glitte14

It comes with a hanging thing to put stencils in. I attached bead bands to hold it to my tent. The middle stencils fall out if we aren't careful with wind but they're pretty convenient. (I added my own stencils, btw. These aren't the ones the kit comes with) I just fold this and put it in the case to keep the bottles in place.
New to glitter tats...need some advice! - Page 2 Glitte15

That was the $55 kit. Last week I ordered two of the $20 (or so) kits for my "satellite" booths/girls. It's a complete kit but not as large/involved as mine. It comes with 20 glitter pots, 2 "nail polish" style glues, one tattoo glue tube (for freehand work), one cleanser, one application brush, one puff brush and stencils. Those came in a plastic form that slides into a plastic "briefcase" It came with one stencil of various designs that they choose, most are tribal or very complex.
New to glitter tats...need some advice! - Page 2 Glitte16
New to glitter tats...need some advice! - Page 2 Glitte17
New to glitter tats...need some advice! - Page 2 Glitte18

The glue is the same that is available anywhere else for this and the glitter is poly not metal.

To be totally honest, I've never used the cleanser or the tube. With the larger kit a "palette" that's shaped like a paw came with it, I've never figured out what to use it for...so I actually don't even know where it is. lol
I do think I am eventually going to change fully over to poof bottles, eventually. It's great for organization and carrying though. Worth it for that alone. Most of the colors are available domestically for refills. If you notice, I wrote on the lids of some of the glitters. It's a code I came up with to identify which glitters get refilled from the big refill pots I have and to keep track of which colors are most popular so I can focus on those and not waste money on others. Smile

Hope this helps!

Lynnie
Lynnie

Back to top Go down

Post by maggie on Mon May 09, 2011 7:43 pm

Lynnie, thanks for posting the pictures, that was very helpful! Smile
maggie
maggie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie on Mon May 09, 2011 10:15 pm

My pleasure, Maggie! Smile It's always fun to share new stuff. Like Christmas Wink
Lynnie
Lynnie

Back to top Go down

Post by maggie on Tue May 10, 2011 8:01 am

I know! cheers
I love seeing what everyone else have and use, it is like reading somebody elses diary hehehehe
maggie
maggie

Back to top Go down

Post by cgmather on Thu May 12, 2011 1:22 pm

Hello, I'm also new and had a quick question for everyone.

I'm doing a 3 day festival and the following 2 weekend I have smaller events to go to. How many stencils should I have on hand? I have about 500 but only 6 - 10 of each design. Should I have more?? Which ones are your most popular?
Thanks all

cgmather

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-05-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Geekophile on Thu May 12, 2011 6:19 pm

That is my question as well- how many stencils should you stock of each design? When I think of face painting and doing - lets face it- the same four designs over and over, it makes me wonder if the same thing happens with tattoos?
Geekophile
Geekophile

Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://sophiessmileyfaces.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by maggie on Thu May 12, 2011 8:17 pm

Good question! I am getting ready to drop 130 bucks on a glitter tattoo kit Smile
maggie
maggie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie on Thu May 12, 2011 8:59 pm

For boys: Superhero- Superman "S" and the Bat Signal and sports designs- especially baseball.

For girls: There are two that we have where one is 5 butterflies and one is 5 flowers. Those are the popular ones though any flower or butterfly does very well.
And the parrot. For some odd reason the parrot is hugely popular.

But of all that...
The dragons and the flaming skull are by far my most popular for both boys and girls. Hands down.

Lately the ribbon (which can be for our troops- yellow, breast cancer- pink, etc) is picking up popularity.

I have at least 10 of each popular stencils at every event, and then a handful each of some random designs. We probably show up to every event with about 400 stencils overall (we have some in reserve- just in case we get low with what's out).
Lynnie
Lynnie

Back to top Go down

Post by maggie on Thu May 12, 2011 9:10 pm

Thank you Lynnie Smile You are always so helpful with your input and so quick too.
I think I am going to have to put your number on my speed dial Smile
maggie
maggie

Back to top Go down

Post by cgmather on Fri May 13, 2011 1:23 am

The kit you are showing, are you saying its a good kit for the money? Would you recommend this kit to others? Have you tried the glue yet? How does it work?

Thanks for all the info.
Chrissie

Lynnie wrote:Okay, here are the photos of that kit I promised. The kit comes from a Japanese manufacturer called "Moon Light" but it is shipped from China. I ordered mine on Thurs last week and when I came home today (Monday), my new shipment was on my door. AMAZINGLY fast! I ordered a dress from Massachusetts (where I can drive in 6 hours) and it's taking 11 days from there but only 4 days from China!

Anyway...I opened my kit to find my gold had exploded so forgive that in the photos. lol

I took a photo of my sunglasses on the case so you can get an idea of the size of it.
New to glitter tats...need some advice! - Page 2 Glitte11

The inside of the case, and one of the vials. These are hard plastic with a bendy top so they aren't really good for "poofing". I did take out the cleanser that it comes with and replace that with my neon poofers. As you might be able to tell the plastic poofers are bigger than the one it comes with. You can also see it has great brush and glue storage as well. I've had this for over a year now and it's great for transport BUT you have to lay stuff over the top of bottles to keep them from shifting around.
New to glitter tats...need some advice! - Page 2 Glitte12
New to glitter tats...need some advice! - Page 2 Glitte13
New to glitter tats...need some advice! - Page 2 Glitte14

It comes with a hanging thing to put stencils in. I attached bead bands to hold it to my tent. The middle stencils fall out if we aren't careful with wind but they're pretty convenient. (I added my own stencils, btw. These aren't the ones the kit comes with) I just fold this and put it in the case to keep the bottles in place.
New to glitter tats...need some advice! - Page 2 Glitte15

That was the $55 kit. Last week I ordered two of the $20 (or so) kits for my "satellite" booths/girls. It's a complete kit but not as large/involved as mine. It comes with 20 glitter pots, 2 "nail polish" style glues, one tattoo glue tube (for freehand work), one cleanser, one application brush, one puff brush and stencils. Those came in a plastic form that slides into a plastic "briefcase" It came with one stencil of various designs that they choose, most are tribal or very complex.
New to glitter tats...need some advice! - Page 2 Glitte16
New to glitter tats...need some advice! - Page 2 Glitte17
New to glitter tats...need some advice! - Page 2 Glitte18

The glue is the same that is available anywhere else for this and the glitter is poly not metal.

To be totally honest, I've never used the cleanser or the tube. With the larger kit a "palette" that's shaped like a paw came with it, I've never figured out what to use it for...so I actually don't even know where it is. lol
I do think I am eventually going to change fully over to poof bottles, eventually. It's great for organization and carrying though. Worth it for that alone. Most of the colors are available domestically for refills. If you notice, I wrote on the lids of some of the glitters. It's a code I came up with to identify which glitters get refilled from the big refill pots I have and to keep track of which colors are most popular so I can focus on those and not waste money on others. Smile

Hope this helps!

cgmather

Back to top Go down

Post by SuzySparkles on Fri May 13, 2011 7:52 am

www.signatureglitter.com, take a look now! Smile
SuzySparkles
SuzySparkles

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Geekophile on Fri May 13, 2011 9:58 am

That's not a bad package Suzy. I think it all depends on if you want more stencils or more glitter. If you figure 50 cents a piece for the stencils (the average price right) that means you pay $3 each for the glitters with the signature glitter kit. The other kit has 38 colors of glitter (!), so after subtracting the 50 cents a piece for stencils you pay $1.68 per glitter. If you put the difference in price toward more stencils (@ 50 cents each) you can have a kit with 130 stencils and 38 glitters by going the China route, or a kit with 200 stencils and 10 glitters with signature glitter. So which do we prefer? more glitters or more stencils?
Geekophile
Geekophile

Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://sophiessmileyfaces.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie on Fri May 13, 2011 12:22 pm

For me, personally, I like working with no less than 20 glitter colors. Glitter is the more expensive one to buy initially so if I can get a bunch of those I'm good with adding stencils domestically.
Lynnie
Lynnie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie on Fri May 13, 2011 12:30 pm

Ahahaha, Maggie. Can I be #6? No reason I just think it's a fun number. lol

Chrissie, I've owned the kit for almost 2 years now and while it's not perfect, I really like it. It makes set up a breeze and when I did my comparisons with other kits I think it was good value. If you don't want the metal case or 38 glitters, the 20 glitter set I posted with the plastic suitcase is really good as well.
The glue works fantastic. I've kept tats on my wrist with the glue from this kit for 5+ days. One of my friends had a dinosaur on his arm for about 8 days. It was the first one I did with the kit actually. I wanted a test subject and he was sitting there. lol I also don't wipe the skin before I put it on unless the skin is excessively dirty, btw...and it still lasts that long. I have zero complaints about the products themselves. The stencils peel off easily and are good to work with. We've gotten up to 4 uses out of them so they are fairly sturdy (I follow Sean Avram's theories on use and cleansing- so I do reuse stencils). The only thing I don't like is that the glitter containers look like poofers but aren't.
Lynnie
Lynnie

Back to top Go down

Post by cgmather on Mon May 16, 2011 3:36 am

Thanks Lynnie,
Can you tell me if the stencils are 3 layer?

cgmather

Back to top Go down

Post by maggie on Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:37 am

Hey Lynnie, found this and thought it looks like the glitter bottles are like the ones you have in your kit, look at the video and how the tip part of the bottle is squeezable, wonder if yours are like that.
http://www.glitter-tattoo.com/how_to_use_en.html
maggie
maggie

Back to top Go down

Post by eva on Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:53 pm

Wow that video makes it look easy, which I am sure it's not. Makes me want to buy a big kit Twisted Evil
eva
eva

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2008-12-13

http://www.cincinnatifacepainters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2