Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Newbie help - glitter tattoo business withOUT FP? (long, sorry!)

Go down

Newbie help - glitter tattoo business withOUT FP? (long, sorry!) Empty Newbie help - glitter tattoo business withOUT FP? (long, sorry!)

Post by LadySiren on Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:49 pm

Hello!

I found this forum while searching for glitter tattoo supplies for an upcoming party. I'd never actually heard of glitter tattoos until literally two days ago...we NEVER see them here in my neck of the woods. I hope you don't mind me coming in to pose a few questions but glitter tattoos just seems like it might be ideal as a small business opportunity.

In particular, I'm wondering whether having *just* a glitter tattoo business will work. I'll be the first person to tell you that while I have a pretty good eye for art and graphic design (I'm in marketing / advertising / PR), it unfortunately doesn't seem to translate down into my hands. Therefore, I won't be doing any face painting, unless the person wants to end up looking like a piece of modern art gone wrong. Sadly, I love face painting and would happily try my hand at it if I thought I had an iota of ability, but let me be honest...I'd be terrible at it, LOL.

Anyway, I scoured every website and phone book that I could find and as far as I can tell, there is exactly ONE FP artist in the county that includes glitter tattoos as part of her available services. With three decent-sized towns in our county, plus umpteen smaller towns, there's almost always some sort of festival taking place over the weekend. Additionally, there are two major metro areas just on either side of our more suburban / rural county, so there's literally something going on every weekend.

My idea is to do glitter and mica tattoos, and hair wraps. I'd likely be setting up shop at many of the fairs and festivals in the area, as well as advertising for private events. To be fair, let me say that this will not be my sole source of income - I have a job and a boss that I love dearly, so I won't be giving up my full-time career (sorry if that makes me a wannabe, interloper, poser, etc.) any time soon. I would however, love to have this as a second job. My stay-at-home husband has even offered to help ( Shocked ) with this.

So, my question is: could a part-time business based on JUST glitter / mica tattoos and hair wraps be successful? I've owned my own business previously, so I'm not totally unfamiliar with the steps needed to get going. Plus, my day job is in marketing and PR (and formerly advertising), so I could put those skills to use, as well.

So sorry for the length of this post and my sincere thanks for any input or insight you'd care to share. I love this idea but I want to make sure it's something I can actually make a go of.

Cheers,

Melissa
LadySiren
LadySiren

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2012-06-09

Back to top Go down

Newbie help - glitter tattoo business withOUT FP? (long, sorry!) Empty Re: Newbie help - glitter tattoo business withOUT FP? (long, sorry!)

Post by fesspenter on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:34 pm

Hello, Melissa!
Welcome to the Forum!
I am just a face painter. I cannot do any more than I am doing, so I will NOT be branching out into Glitter Tats. I have someone I recommend when someone wants an artist for a pool party.
My question for you is this...
Where do you live. Put it on your profile so you CAN connect and jam with other artists in your area. The glitter tat viability question depends upon where you live. Your question can be answered with a lot more conviction if you tell people what part of planet Earth you live upon.
Um, I live in Canada. In Toronto, Ontario...the Land of the Swirling Snow and the Howling Wolves.
xoxo
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Newbie help - glitter tattoo business withOUT FP? (long, sorry!) Empty Re: Newbie help - glitter tattoo business withOUT FP? (long, sorry!)

Post by squiggle on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:07 pm

I am a face painter but at the festival we did on Thursday, they already had a free face painter and the organizer suggested I do something else, as charging for face painting probably wouldn't have gone over well.

So my daughter did glitter tattoos and I did freehand glitter body bling and it turned out it was pretty popular! It was only a 3-hour block party, but we were steady busy so I'm calling it a success. I don't see why it wouldn't be popular just doing glitter tattoos Smile

Here's some of the freehand stuff we did Smile

Newbie help - glitter tattoo business withOUT FP? (long, sorry!) Festiv14

squiggle
squiggle

Number of posts : 787
Registration date : 2009-11-11

http://www.awesome-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by EileenF on Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:06 am

Of course! I only do glitter, mica and hair tinsel. People are fascinated. I also make my own stencils, banners and ad materials. Im a hair stylist, graphic designer and l do this on the side. I will also do face painting in the future. I make my own stencils and what you and l have to our advantage as graphic artists is we can do promotional events and create our own stencils with the event logo. I work 2 meetups a week with bikers and car shows and they have me tattoo the girls with their logo. I also did glitter tattoos for a band with their logo on the crowd and did their flyers. Two different industries that come together with creativity.
EileenF
EileenF

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2012-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by LadySiren on Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:03 am

Good morning, all. Thanks so much for your replies - this is terrific info. Very, very helpful!

I'm in semi-rural North Carolina but there are two major metro areas near me (the Triad and Triangle). As far as I could determine, there isn't anyone who is doing glitter tattoos in our area. As a former member of a local mom's group, we did our own events and participated in many other events locally, and I never once saw anyone offering anything other than FP.

My thought is that we'd offer tattoos at local fairs and festivals, and for private events (parties and such). I also thought we could offer services to kid-oriented businesses like daycares, private schools, vacation bible schools, car dealers (our local dealerships always seem to be running some sort of "family" event to bring in customers), and on occasions like homecoming and graduation (there are at least five or six high schools across our main three-city area, plus one university). Since this isn't going to be a full-time operation for me, I feel like that should keep me plenty busy. Eileen, I love the idea of the biker club! We have a highly active HOG chapter in our area and I already have a very good friend who's a member.

Again, my thanks to you for the info and for not scoffing too loudly at my newbie questions. Very much appreciated. Smile
LadySiren
LadySiren

Back to top Go down

Post by LadySiren on Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:06 am

squiggle wrote:I am a face painter but at the festival we did on Thursday, they already had a free face painter and the organizer suggested I do something else, as charging for face painting probably wouldn't have gone over well.

So my daughter did glitter tattoos and I did freehand glitter body bling and it turned out it was pretty popular! It was only a 3-hour block party, but we were steady busy so I'm calling it a success. I don't see why it wouldn't be popular just doing glitter tattoos Smile

Here's some of the freehand stuff we did Smile

Squiggle, those look wonderful. I'm not sure about the freehand stuff - I've got a great eye and appreciation for art but not the ability (sigh). Now, my stepson on the other hand...if we could or do branch out into FP, he'll be the one doing it. No fair that the kid can create such beautiful art! tongue

Thanks for sharing those - it's nice to see pictures. I love the way glitter tattoos look.
LadySiren
LadySiren

Back to top Go down

Post by mhr2133 on Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:34 am

I could easily run a glitter tattoo only business. I include them in all my party packages & they are always a big hit. We are now starting to book tattoo only parties. We also have started selling glitter tattoo supplies on ebay so I'm sure that within a year they will be a main source of income. As starting a small business goes, they're a cheap start up & who doesn't Love all that beautiful glitter.
One drawback is that everything I own is covered in glitter. I took the family to diner last night , looked over & could see sparkly specks on my husband & kid.
mhr2133
mhr2133

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Pixie Dust Tattoo on Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:42 pm

Im also very new, as in the still geting practice stages of starting up of dong glitter tattoos. im hoping to set up a booth next month at my towns arts and crafts thing down town and maybe sell some at second Saturday and see how that goes.
Pixie Dust Tattoo
Pixie Dust Tattoo

Registration date : 2013-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by StephanieKiDooodle on Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:46 pm

I have posted this question on another thread, but there is never too much help, right? How many people can you do with one stencil? How do you get the edges to be neat, and the glitter to be non-clumpy? How long does it take to dry the glue and apply the glitter? Where can stencils be purchased inexpensively, since they seem to be a throw-away item? Thanks all.
StephanieKiDooodle
StephanieKiDooodle

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2013-10-16

http://www.KiDooodles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down