Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

How many of each????

Go down

How many of each????  Empty How many of each????

Post by EileenF on Tue May 15, 2012 10:21 pm

Just wondering, l am doing glitter and mica tattoos this weekend Friday- Sunday. Its the 37th year this festival has gone on and it attracts thousands. How many different stencils would you offer, how many of each would you bring and how much do you charge at a family event with all ages. This question has been asked, but this event is huge and my situation is different because i cut my stencils instead of ordering them. I have a little extra wiggle room between now and friday. There will be a carnival, rides, arts and crafts, vendors, food and alcohol. I am cutting my own stencils and just had the idea to ask you all. I will have 2x3'' stencils for $5, arm bands for $8-10. Necklace stencils for $8. They are cool designs, all of them i designed. So i need to make back the time it took creating them and cost of supplies. I was thinking of cutting 50 of each popular design, and maybe 25 of each of the regular designs. All age groups. I was wondering how many designs i should bring total. Bring more designs, print less of each, or less designs, print more of each. Do you think its insane to offer 50 designs? My target audience is all ages because i have a variety to offer. Sorry but im writing this from my phone which makes tons of typos. Any advice appreciated, i will offer mine as well. Will post pics of the booth and let you know how it went :-)
EileenF
EileenF

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2012-03-26

Back to top Go down

How many of each????  Empty Re: How many of each????

Post by Noella on Tue May 15, 2012 10:54 pm

I put out 100+ designs - have 45 or so that get only 1-2 takers (if they even are asked for), another 40 or so that go 5-10 times, most popular that go 25+

If I limit it to 10 designs, it is still imbalanced, but the low ones get dozens instead (thinking of an event where we did 700+ with only 10 designs - not my fav way to work though).

The big thing is - how many can you possibly do at the event? are you working alone? do you have others applying too? how long does it take you to apply one? how many can you hope to apply given the amount of time and assuming the line is always there?

If you are making your own, you have the advantage of not having to outlay money, however it does still cost your time - and the opportunity cost of not having made other designs. You *can* keep leftovers for other events. Running out of a design can be a positive - it allows you to put up a note that that design is sold out - showing you are popular.

If you start prep with getting 25-50 done of the really popular ones done, 10-25 done of the less popular, and maybe add in another 5-10 of any you want to try (maybe new or odd), but factoring in time - plan for the best case because at worst you will have leftovers, and you are going to kick yourself if you are sold out of a dozen popular designs that you could have sold hundreds of dollars more if you'd just have spent a bit more time on prep. You can't sell what you don't have.
Noella
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by EileenF on Wed May 16, 2012 1:49 am

Thank you so much! Great info. Tomorrow i will be running 2 plotters all day. As far as help at the event, it will be myself and 3 other people at all times running the booth, at least 2 of us tatting the whole time and have that extra line person if we need a 3rd person. I can do 1 tat in 2-3 min depending on size. My smallest is 2x3 in. Largest is like a sleeve, forgot to mention above but those will be $15-20 each and take me about 5 min each, since i practice a lot. Will have a person, my mom, taking credit and cash and selling kits. Next weekend Im doing a trade show with 15,000 people in 3 days expected. I will be cutting designs next week. But for this event, i can cut more designs each night after its over for the next day., if needed. The event is Fri 5pm-midnight. Sat 10am- midnight and Sun 11-5. Booth was $175, wasnt out of pocket because I used my prize money, I won first place in the adult tshirt design contest for the event.

Great info, i truly appreciate it. Sorry for any typos, my phone sucks lol Any other input will certainly help and I'm here if anyone has questions that I can answer. :-)
EileenF
EileenF

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella on Wed May 16, 2012 4:40 am

Oh wow - at 21 event hours, 24 tats an hour, 2 appliers, that's over 1000 possible tats - more if you need to pull that third applier and leave one person on line (although I find line managers worth their weight in prep and helping "sell" tats)
And having next week's event you have that buffer of not worrying about being overprepared (it just saves you effort on that stencil design next week).

If you make it, you can sell it Smile
Noella
Noella

Back to top Go down

Post by EileenF on Wed May 16, 2012 8:20 am

You are awesome! Are you also an artist? I can see you are by your pic? I hope so! Did I put 21 hours? I meant to say 27. The Tattoo Expo next weekend is 30 hours. And my person who was going to help out backed out yesterday! I have other help but it's a trade show, 15,000 people expected. There I will be doing tattoos and selling kits but I'm wondering what to do now because she was my Friday help. I had a feeling she was not dependable....
EileenF
EileenF

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenn Doll on Wed May 16, 2012 3:02 pm

I would love to see a "sleeve" design... ;0
Jenn Doll
Jenn Doll

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2012-03-12

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Landen-Road-Designs/4471074784

Back to top Go down

Post by EileenF on Wed May 16, 2012 3:50 pm

I'm actually working on some right now, in between clients, I will post pics as soon as I can. Any ideas when you think of "sleeve?" Let me know and I will make it! Smile
EileenF
EileenF

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella on Wed May 16, 2012 5:14 pm

I'm a makeup artist first (film and television mostly - my avatar was taken on set as I reached in to do touchups on the talent), second became airbrush tattoos (since if I did them for productions, couldn't be too hard to do them on kids too right? yeah right), third became face paint (client says we want stuff on faces.... ok, face paint it is), well, things keep expanding. Glitter tats have been later - I adore my cutter.
Noella
Noella

Back to top Go down

Post by EileenF on Thu May 17, 2012 2:15 pm

Oh my gosh, I love mine too. I wish I had the money to get one of those ones that cost several thousands, that's my goal. (and a LOT of glitter tats to do!)

You and I have so much in common! I'm a hair stylist, before that I went to school for graphic design. It's interesting how 2 different careers have balanced each other out! Nothing better than to be able to do my own flyers Smile I worked hard on both, so now I am always busy doing hair and designs for people. Just got back into design bigtime, thanks to glitter tattoos!

I would love to do airbrush tattoos. They look fun, and easy to do since I love anything to do with art. I really want to touch the facepainting thing, I think I could do well with that but I'm going to finish these 2 shows first and see how they do. I used to do face painting when I was younger, I love it and I go all out. But I've seen some cool stuff on here and I think I can figure it out. I just WISH they had trainings and shows down here in the south, I notice a lot of them are up north! Where do you live?
EileenF
EileenF

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum